The first day, we spent the whole day on the plane. Or, most of it.
The second day, we drove up to New Hampshire. It was about a two hour car drive. When we got there, we got a tour of the barn that was a two minutes walk away from our friends house (where we were staying). That night, we all helped make dumplings for dinner.
The third day, I went with one of our friends to the barn for a day. I wasn't able to ride that day, but I did get to help out, take pictures, and watch the other riders do cross country jumps.
On horse back, cross country is a long course of jumps which might include logs, ditches, large obstacles to jump over, and water, which your horse has to wade through.
We swam in the pool later that night, and after dinner played games outside.
On the fourth day, I got to ride. I was the only western rider out of the group of girls in the riding camp, the rest rode english.
Here is a picture showing a western saddle and an english saddle. Sorry the english saddle in the picture doesn't have any stirrups!
Usually, only English riders jump, because their saddles are better designed for jumping. I did a few low western jumps on a horse named Jaws.
That afternoon, we swam in a pond.
On the fifth day I tried out riding English and did a couple more jumps. The stirrups on an English saddle (where you put your feet) were a lot thinner than on a western saddle, and my feet kept sliding out of them. Also, the English saddle doesn't have a horn, so it was weird at first, not having anything to hold onto while I was mounting.
On the sixth day, we watched one of our friends and several of the horse campers do a horse show. We saw them do cross country and jumping. Afterwards, we went mini golfing and swimming at another pond, with several small water falls.
On the seventh day, we had a lazier day of watching Olympics (go America) and filming a video we have wanted to make for a while.
On the last day, we did a quick trail ride. I got to ride Jaws one last time. He had been a very good boy all week.
He's the tallest horse I've ridden. 17 hands!
On our way to the airport, we stocked up on these delicious maple candies you can only buy in New Hampshire.
Yum!




No comments:
Post a Comment